Wednesday, December 17, 2008

December 17: A Watershed and Time to Reflect

"Four score and seven years ago".......wait.....that was the beginning of the Gettysburg Address, given in 1863 commemorating the Battle of Gettysburg (PA) that happened over 3 days in July of that year......it was a watershed battle...it was an event that saw many young men killed in a short period of time......but I digress...

I first learned what a watershed was in college from a wonderful history professor of mine, Dr. Bob Cole. I remember his analogy of a watershed in dealing with the French Revolution.

For me a trip to Gettysburg, PA in September of 2008 was the beginning of a huge series of coincidences and learning...that have kept me busy and focused since then and I hope for the rest of my life.

The 2008 Gordon Setter National Specialty was held in Gettysburg, PA in September. I went there with several of my friends. We had a great time. While there, I learned about the Battle of Gettysburg (which I knew about having been a history major) and I learned that Gettysburg is supposedly one of the highest areas of ghosts because of the Battle of Gettysburg. This fascinated me to no end, mainly because in one of the homes on the property of the hotel complex there is a lovely lavender home that was on the historical register. The manager of the hotel told me that the home is "haunted." The woman that lived in the house was killed. He said that if you look at a specific time, you can see the light on. I suspected that it was the time frame she had been killed.

During the week, several of us went to lunch one afternoon at the Dobbins House. It was a great pub dating back to 1776. We had a fantastic hostess in Nicki who was so amazing. She served us well and gave us a tour of the Dobbins House. I asked her if she believed in ghosts and she said she used to not, but once she was carrying a tray of food to some patrons when she "felt" the ghost's presence as the hair on the back of her neck stood up and she was suddenly cold. From that point in time, she believed. She also told of us some of the "prankster" ghosts (spirits) who would knock things off the shelves in the Pub. She said that these things would happen when there were no humans anywhere near the areas that were affected by these happenings.

When I returned from my trip, I felt that I needed to do something for me and that was to do a spiritual reading. A woman that I have known for several years who works at Panera Bread and I got to talking and we have hit it off. She told me that her significant other does spiritual readings. I had heard him on a local radio station that I listen to. I found out a lot about him and decided to do a reading. On October 1, 2008 I had my reading.

This was one of the most amazing things I have ever done. Paul was a great spiritual reader and the things that he shared with me, a person he never met, were just "so me." He said that I'm adventurous, optimistic, nosey and inquisitive and an "old soul." He said that I like people and enjoy a large crowd, but there are times when I do like my solitude and want to be left alone.

He quoted things from Edgar Cayce (who my dad always read). Suggested that I throw my fears away and to always thank God for things and to remember God nightly before bed.

He opened my eyes to many things that I needed to focus on in my personal life, but he also made me feel at ease because I realized that my dad and others were always around and "coaching" me as he said.

I have taken control of things that have needed to be done from finding and doing many projects around my house, my property. I have been energized to do web projects, computer projects, as well as my paying job. I find that I have purpose and am able to enjoy life. I have been busy but productive.

Paul suggested that I read some books: Conversations with God: Volume 1 - Neal Donald Welch and Mystical Magical Marvelous World of Dreams - Wilba B. Tanner. Listen to your dreams.....there is information to be gleaned from them.

Emotionally, I was extremely hurt in my divorce/breakup.

Four years ago today, my divorce was final. I reflected on that today as it is an important milestone in my life. While I don't feel nearly as emotional on this day that I did 4 years ago, several other coincidences pointed to this day for me.

A few weeks back, a co-worker suggested that I pick up the book, The Celestine Prophecy. I couldn't believe that coincidence. About 12 years earlier an Internet friend suggested that I read that book. Now, 12 years later, I have. And....Steve's birthday is December 17. After my co-worker's suggestion to read the book, it instantly made me think of Steve, so I decided to try to find him. With the availability of social networks, I found Steve on Facebook. I originally thought his b-day was January 17 (which is Drifter's b-day). Imagine my surprise, when I got a response to my emails to all the Steves that I could find on Facebook that said, "nice try Peggy. My birthday is December 17." So, I have re-connected with Steve (London) and have verified that he's alive and well.

So many other coincidences have played a part in my life these past 3 months. I don't want to bore you all, but I have found it truly fascinating and remarkable.

Today was an interesting day as well as several close friends had some bad news/tragedies in their lives: a friend's friend died from ovarian cancer at the age of 54 (having been diagnosed only 2 weeks prior), another friend's friend was rear-ended with her dog while returning from a dog show and another friend, came home to a burst pipe that began to flood her home......and today is an anniversary of something of a watershed in my life: my divorce.

I still am lonely at times but I am learning to love being single and to be able to do things that I need to do for me and the dogs. In time, I will find someone so truly special and perfect for me. I believe that.

Life is good and I am blessed with good health, good friends, great dogs, great parents and siblings and a good job. Days like today simply help us to remember from where we came along this journey we call life.

5 Comments:

Blogger AnneGero said...

Thanks for the history lesson and events that have come into play in your life. I certainly enjoyed reading all of this, Peggy.
Mom

Friday, December 19, 2008 1:03:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

I believe that there is more unseen than seen. That said, however, I would encourage you to stay away from the 'dark arts' of divining and soothsaying. You open the door to all sorts of not-so-goods.

Do, however, talk to your Guardian Angel. He's looking out for you unequivocally.

'Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God's love commits me here. Ever this day, be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule and guide. Amen.'

Friday, December 19, 2008 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Thanks, Mom and Ruth for commenting. I appreciate your comments.

I think I have only you two as my followers.....can't imagine what it'd be like to have a following like Victoria or Ann Althouse.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:42:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

Dear Peggy:
I have happy childhood memories of Christmas. Thank you for being such a good big sis and may your holiday be filled with abundant blessings and the knowledge that you are dearly loved.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 8:11:00 AM  
Blogger sueh said...

Hi Peggy, I read and enjoy your blog too!!! I know about the loneliness in singlehood too. I was 37 when I married for the first time. For many years I only had my career, house and dogs. But, I also had my faith in God that He would carry me through. In retrospect I can see that He was preparing me for my eventual marriage while leading me through my singlehood. I encourage you to seek the Lord directly about His path for your life. I know God loves us and wants to have a relationship with us. I especially knew that this year while going through breast cancer treatment. I know for sure that He provided the treatment and is continuing to provide the healing in my body from the disease. My sister wrote about my journey in her blog in September or October. I know that prayer really works too because of everything that happened before, during and now after my treatment. Some miraculous things happened and I can say honestly that it was the Lord's hand working in my life to bring me through. He is a great source of comfort and advice for me. In my experience He has taught me to trust and believe that He is the ultimate healer of broken hearts and bodies.

Peggy, I wish you and your pups a wonderful Christmas!!

Lovingly, Sue H (Kathie B's big sis)

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 8:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home